General Purpose Distance Rig
The bomber rig is a clipped down rig for general purpose fishing at long range. The lower crimp at each swivel is adjustable to allow the snoods to be secured prior to casting.
Bomber Rig Components
1 x Swivel or Oval Split Ring
4 x 5mm Beads
2 x Snood Swivel
2 x Crimps
2 x Breakaway Adjustable Crimps; SRT springs, telephone wire or Powergum / silicone stops can be substituted
1 x Lead Link with Breakaway Imp
Approx 1.5 to 2 metre length 60-80lb BS main line
1 x 1000 to 1500 mm length 20 – 30lb BS snood
1 x 300 to 500 mm length 20 – 30lb BS snood
2 x 2 to 2/0 hook
2 x Sequins
Length of Powergum for bait stops
The Rig Body
- Tie on the lead link with the Imp (any other bait clip capable of holding two hooks may be used) and thread on the following components in this order; Breakaway Adjustable Crimp / Bead / Swivel / Bead / Crimp. The adjustable crimp can be replace as mentioned above.
- Repeat for the second snood swivel assembly.
- Tie on the top swivel. An oval split ring can be substituted.
- Tie the hook to one end of the longest snood length and thread on the sequin bait stop.
- Tie this snood to the upper swivel and add the Powergum stop knot. A length of silicon tubing can be pushed over the swivel eye to help prevent tangles.
- Repeat steps 4 & 5 for the shorter, lower snood.
- Tension the trace and locate the shorter snood into the bait clip. Using the lower adjustable crimp tension the snood up the trace body and crimp in place. Locate the lower fixed crimp and fix in place.
- Repeat step 7 for the upper snood to complete the bomber rig.
Click on image for larger version
There are numerous sources of terminal tackle both locally and on-line, here are a few suggestions –