Heavy Duty Cod and Ling Rig
The ling rig is designed to ensure maximum flash, flutter and noise this rig has also been successfully used in Ireland for conger. Most locals produce their own long booms from heavy duty wire and use DIY spoons or flashers from materials such as Band-it.
Ling Rig Components
1 x Heavy Duty Swivel
Approx 500 to 1500 mm length 50-80lb BS main line
1 x Spreader Boom with heavy duty split ring at each end.
2 x Ling Flutter Spoons fitted with 4/0 – 10/0 hooks. Spoons vary in length from 100-200mm depending upon target ling size.
2 x Heavy Duty Split Rings
The Rig Body
- Tie a swivel to the top of the trace, then tie to the top of the spreader boom. If using commercial spreaders the swivels should be upgraded to stronger versions. Home-made spreaders can be used to produce more substantial versions.
- Clip on the flutter spoons using the oval split rings.
- If the hooks are not fixed directly to the flutter spoon the monofilament should be 100-150lb breaking strain. It may be easier to use crimps in place of knots with the thick line.
- Attach the lead weight using a length of rotten bottom monofilament.
- Suitable alternatives for the commercial flutter spoons can be made from sheet metal or stainless Band-It strip or wall ties. Tutorial on how to make flutter spoons.
- Red or Lumi muppets on the hooks can be particularly effective.
Click on image for larger version
There are numerous sources of terminal tackle both locally and on-line, here are a few suggestions –