There is something magical about fishing an evening match shrouded in a thick fog, surrounded by great friends catching a few fish, with zero wind and a light drizzle we began our latest match at Cley, pegging left and right of the shelter. Visibility was really bad and with headlights reflecting back at you giving a dream like sensation which heightened the expectations when reeling in as the fish and your rig became visible three feet in front of you.
From the off the fish were present, with some finding sizeable but the majority struggling to get past the undersized fish, but it was Billy Rush finding form again and managing to card eight fish for 2lb 13oz taking top rod honours, second place also with eight fish was Dene Conway 10oz behind Billy with 2lb 3oz, third place was Leon Smith with five fish for 1lb 9 1/3oz. The biggest flat of the evening was to Barry Iseton’s 30cm dab and the largest round fish was shared between Billy Rush and Roger Cunnington both with a 31cm whiting.
The crab activity has certainly started with spider crabs doing the damage on the baits especially the fish baits. It should now be a couple of weeks before the brown crab start showing as well. In the next few weeks we should also start seeing an appearance of the dogfish, big pouting and possibly the rays will return. A few reports this past week of several codling showing from Weybourne down to Bacton. Next week’s match at Trimmingham should prove interesting weather permitting.
- Billy Rush 30 pts – 8 fish – 2lb 13 1/3oz
- Dene Conway 29pts – 8 fish – 2lb 3oz
- Leon Smith 28pts – 5 fish – 1lb 9 1/3oz
- Barry Iseton 27pts – 4 fish – 1lb 7 1/3oz
- Simon Bone 26pts – 4 fish – 1lb 3 1/3oz
- Roger Cunnington 25pts – 3 fish – 1lb
- Paul Rickard 24pts – 3 fish – 13 2/3oz
- Jimmy Shaul Shaul 23pts – 3 fish – 13 1/3oz
- Keith Shaul 22pts – 2 fish – 12 2/3oz
- Will Sprules 21pts – 3 fish – 11 1/3oz
- Russell Taylor 20pts – 2 fish – 10 2/3oz
- Richard Ling 19pts – 2 fish – 10oz
- Denver Garry 18pts – 1 fish – 6oz
- Richard Hipperson 17pts – 1 fish – 5 1/3oz
- Ninian Wharton 17pts – 1 fish – 5 1/3oz
- Graham In wood 15pts – 1 fish – 4 2/3oz
- Gregory Kiddell 5pts