A quiet week for Lancashire sea anglers as strong winds and small tides affect the sport but anglers still did their best given the conditions.
Fleetwood and District Angling Club found that it was back to normal after last week’s epic match as the anglers assembled at Five-Bar Gate to fish over low water. The fishing started off promising with a few fish caught in the first couple of casts.
As the tide dropped the venue shallowed with waves breaking on sandbanks and most found that they could not get the distance to get very far over the banks.
On the flood the catches did improve again.
Congratulations to match winner Ian Hewitt and runner up John Hodgson who managed to find a few fish.
- Ian Hewitt 2 smoothhound 2 thornback 1 turnout 1 server for 216 points
- John Hodgson 2 smoothhound 2 thornback for 211 points
- John Hill 2 smoothhound for 103 points
- Hughie Porter 1 smoothhound 1 thornback for 99 points
- David Bayliss 2 smoothhound for 77.5 points
- Neil Porter 1 thornback for 27 points
Alex Garden 1 tope for 15 points
11 anglers fished the match.
Next Sunday’s club match is at Lytham with fishing from 9.30am to 12.30pm.
Leyland and District Sea Angling Club were out on Sunday for their latest beach match at Ulverston.
Dave Brown fished the flood where he found that it was not the best tide and very little movement in the tide.
Dave had plenty of weevers but also managed plaice, flounder, two thornback rays, three sole together with three hounds and a last cast bass.
- Peter Pilkington with a flounder and a bass of 55cm winning the biggest bag and biggest fish and setting a new club record for bass of 3lb 13oz and scoring a total of 68 match points. Well done Peter!
- Alan Slater with a 42cm tope pup and 36 points.
- John Lee also with a tope pup.
- James Dewhurst with a dab and an eel.
- Martin Darwin with a flounder.
Thanks also to Jordan Russell of Bispham Sea Angling for the excellent ragworm.
Another great day out in Ulverston and thanks again to the 15 members supporting the match.