We have three Gt Yarmouth venues to choose from: South Beach, Opposite the Imperial Hotel and Boardwalk (North Beach). Using Duane’s local knowledge and checks throughout the previous week for weed, car parking and fish we finally settled on fishing opposite the Imperial Hotel. Parking concerns were set aside when we realised that you didn’t need to pay for parking (charges from 1st April – 31st Oct).
We had the pleasure of welcoming Tom Gibbs fishing his first NAC match, a stalwart of the Holt Club and Team of 5s, and Rob Potkins who decided to come for a match despite watching us all perform on the Pond Pete You Tube videos, brave man.
The only question for the night was would Duane be right – good fishing, i.e. would there be rays and dogfish as well as cardable whiting?
The peg draw took place at 6:00pm as usual. Neil had pegged the beach either side of the drive way to the beach 1 – 10 to the North, with 11 – 22 heading towards the Pier. With the coming of British Summer Time it was such a pleasure to set up in daylight on your peg and check out sea conditions. With LT being 19:32pm we would be fishing the turn of the tide and start of the flood. Ideal conditions.
No sooner had we started at 19:00 the fish made an appearance and we knew who would having one of those memorable matches. A great introduction for Tom and Rob. First the whiting and they were sizeable and cardable, 139 caught- the biggest 38cm caught by Jamie Childerhouse, then the dogfish (11 caught) – the biggest a 63cm Dog Fish caught by Ian Childerhouse, then four thornbacks fell to Roger (44cm), John Harvey (2 – 43cm & 42cm), and Kev Green picked up the biggest ray at 52cm across the wings.
In total we landed 139 fish, the last few weeks has seen our catch ratio move from 0.5/1 fish per angler to 6+ fish per angler, looking good for the next few weeks. Welcome to Tom Gibbs picking up 11 fish, and Rob Potkins picking up 5 fish – welcome to Norfolk Angling Club
- Kev Green Peg 21 16 fish 539 weight points (11lb/4ozs)
- John Harvey Peg 20 7 fish 352 weight points (7lb/5ozs)
- Duane Lockwood Peg 6 12 fish 335 weight points (7lb/0ozs)
- Ian Childerhouse Peg 2 11 fish 286 weight points (5lb/15ozs)
- Roger Cunnington Peg 5 5 fish 231 weight points (4lb/13ozs)
- Match average 139/22 6 fish per angler “ ish”.
- Biggest Round Fish – 52cm Ray (measured across wings/278 points) – Kev Green (peg 21)
- Biggest Dogfish – 63cm (100 weight points) – Ian Childerhouse (peg 2)
- Biggest Flatfish – 31cm Flounder – Tom Gibbs (peg 5)
- Lucky peg Peg 9 – Mike Topping
Next week’s match is at Cart Gap with high tide at 18:15pm – see Facebook event sheet for details.