The Lancashire sea fishing has picked up with the warmer air temperature. The summer species really are moving in with smoothhounds, tope and rays all showing.
Fleetwood and District Angling Club found that a week can make a massive difference to sea angling catches. Last week at Five-Bar Gate twenty-three anglers managed four fish between them and this week twelve out of thirteen recorded catches. It is marvellous what a change in wind direction can do.
Early morning in this week’s match it was blowing hard and throwing down, but the weather gods smiled on the entrants as it changed to just a light breeze and no rain. No one was expecting much, just a few dabs and maybe a bass, but the anglers had a good run of smoothhounds instead. Crab was the bait of choice today for the hounds.
David G Hutchinson put in a superb performance catching seven smoothhound and four dogfish for over 500 points. David’s best fish measured 114 cm, which works out to about 12lb. This fish was beaten by John Hill who had a 125 cm specimen which converts to an estimated 15lb. There were also a few thornbacks caught.
- David G Hutchinson – 7 smoothies 4 dogs for 562.5 points wins £31
- John Hill – 4 smoothies for 290 points wins £21
- Jay Cutyzen – 2 smoothies 2 dogs 1 flounder for 201points
- Bob Egan – 3 smoothies 1 dog 1 rockling for 186 points
- Lee Thornton – 2 smoothies 1 thornback for 180points
- Dave Hutchinson – 2 smoothies 2 dogs 1 thornback for 174 points
- Hughie Porter – 2 smoothies 1 dog for 172 points
- John Hughes – 2 smoothies 1 thornback for 140.5 points
- Ken Forrest – 3 dogs 1 hound for 136 points
- Dave Wilson – 2 dogs 1 hound for 114 points
- John Hodgson – 1 hound 1 dog for 92 points.
- John Foster -1 dog for 22 points
David G and John Hill both tied for the fish worth the most points, 80 points winning £6.50 each.
Next week’s match will be at Lytham, hopefully there will be plenty of flounders.
Results from Bispham Angling League 10th match fished at Marine beach.
- Tony Baxter – 10 fish 302cm
- Trevor Barnett – 9 fish 275cm
- Stuart Dewhurst – 8 fish 252cm
- Zone A Heather Lindfield – 8 fish 247cm
- Zone B Bill Lindfield – 6 fish 242cm
- Biggest round fish – 87cm smoothhound Bill Lindfield
- Biggest flatfish – 39cm flounder David G Hutchinson
Golden peg was won by Tony Owen. The next match is the final one of the league and will be fished at Preston with the date sorted over the next few days.